If your enthusiasm for the New Year has faded and your skin has lost its luster, it’s time to add Citrus to your diet and skincare routine. Pevonia uses Citrus Fruit, essential oils, and extracts throughout our clean skincare collections due to their powerful benefits for the skin and mind. Discover why incorporating them into your daily routine will brighten your mood and boost your skin’s luminosity!
Why Citrus Fruits?
Although so-called “superfoods” or “superfruits” have ousted Citrus from the limelight, these juicy fruits still deserve their place in the sun. While those with rosacea may find that Citrus triggers their symptoms, and those who are allergic need to refrain, most people benefit from the improved functioning of bodily systems that Citrus provides. Here are just a few of the fruitful compounds they offer your skin and body:
- Citrus Fruits are bursting with the perfect climate-proof ingredient - Vitamin C. This famous antioxidant has the power to boost immunity, promote collagen production, and help defend the skin against UV and free radical damage.
- Citrus provides dietary fiber essential for gastrointestinal wellness, healthy weight, and cholesterol levels vital for overall health.
- Flavonoids, Carotenoids, Phenolic Acids, and Essential Oils derived from Citrus have additional bioactivity, such as anti-inflammatory, cardiovascular, and neuroprotective properties that make these fruits necessary for wellness.
- Rich in B vitamins, citrus fruits boost the production of moisturizing Fatty Acids, improve immunity and circulation, plus they can inhibit inflammation, which helps prevent early signs of aging.
- Citrus Fruits are full of Calcium, Copper, Magnesium, Phosphorous, and Potassium - minerals the body requires for proper functioning. Here’s how:
- Calcium supports bone health.
- Copper promotes collagen formation, evens pigmentation, and healthy blood vessels crucial for optimal skin nutrition and health.
- Magnesium activates enzymatic metabolism and is responsible for DNA replication. It also helps convert GLA (gamma linoleic acid) to DGLA to help minimize inflammation, a prime cause of aging.
- Phosphorous, integral for ADP (adenosine diphosphate) and ATP (adenosine triphosphate) production, promotes cellular energy and renewal, making it vital for youthful-looking skin.
- Potassium helps balance moisture levels and new cell production.
- Some studies indicate that regular Citrus Fruit intake can help reduce the risk of esophageal, pancreatic, and stomach cancers. (Note: This and other content in this article are not meant as medical advice. Consult your physician regarding health concerns before starting any new diet or supplement.)
So, go ahead and slice up an orange or enjoy half a grapefruit to reap these rewards. But, since one cup of O.J. has the equivalent of three oranges worth of concentrated fruit sugar and none of the fiber, it’s best to reserve oranges juice for special occasions!
Citrus Fruits Broken Down
The juicy pulp, flowers, and peels of Citrus Fruits are used abundantly in food and cosmetics. Citrus Oils extracted from flowers and peels of Lemons, Limes, Oranges, and Grapefruits, bestow unique aromatic qualities. Citrus Fruit Extracts derived from the nutrient-rich juice, nourish the body from the inside out and enhance skin health from the outside in. Together, Citrus Oils and Fruit Extracts produce remarkably fresher, tauter, smoother, and more luminous complexions.
How Citrus Improve Moods
Citrus Fruits boast a cornucopia of holistic mood-boosting effects through their vital components and aromatherapeutic benefits. As a whole, Citrus is recognized as having energizing qualities due to its ability to rev up brain activity and stimulate production of the “happiness” hormone, serotonin. Likened to liquid sunshine (minus the sun damage), studies show that the Vitamin C in Citrus helps ward off tension, anxiety, stress, and depression. In addition, Citrus Fruits are found to help increase GABA (gamma amino butyric acid), an amino acid messenger in the brain that helps calm anxiety and regulate moods for better mental wellness. Perhaps it's not a coincidence that the time when orange juice flowed freely in American homes is regarded as a happier time! Here's how the major Citrus varieties can boost your outlook:
- Orange Essential Oil has been shown to help lower the heart rate and calm anxiety.
- Sweet Orange Oil and Lemon Oil prompt the release of dopamine and serotonin that foster better physical, mental, and spiritual wellness. Lemon also refreshes and energizes while curbing anxiety and depression.
- Mandarin Orange Peel Oil also helps calm stress and anxiety, so the next time you are near an Orange Tree as the blossoms begin to open, take a moment to inhale deeply and savor nature’s perfume.
- Grapefruit Oil and Extract help balance moods, reduce stress, and regulate blood pressure. This tangy fruit is also reported to suppress appetite, which may help support your “New Year, New You” goals.
- Lime Oil and Fruit Extract provide a soothing, sedative effect, helpful for those experiencing stress.
Pick Your Citrus
Whether you prefer the flavor profile of the ever-popular Lemons and Oranges, or the zingy zest of Grapefruits and Limes, we offer a variety of Citrus-based natural skin care for everyone’s concerns:
Like the aroma of Grapefruit? Check out our climate-proof products with purifying, cleansing Grapefruit Peel Oil and Extract:
- The CleanRefresh™ Foaming Oil Cleanser removes geo-aggressors, smoke, pollutants, and other environmental stressors for dry skin types and those who prefer an oil-based face cleanser. It also keeps skin bacteria and sebum in check!
- After cleansing, the Hyaluronic Acid HydraMist™ doubles as a moisturizing toner and skin mist.
- Layer with the De-Stress Escape Aromatic Oil to lock in moisture and help reveal firmer-looking skin. It also contains relaxing Lavender and Rose and can be used as a face oil for dry skin or dabbed onto your wrists or pressure points for fast relief.
- The SpaTeen Blemished Skin Cleanser, while formulated as an acne cleanser for teens, is excellent for anyone prone to pore congestion or breakouts.
- Pair with the detoxifying Pure Skin Charcoal Mask, an ideal facial mask for oily skin and those wanting to minimize the appearance of pores, for a smooth, shine-free complexion.
Are you a Limey? Okay, you don’t have to be an old British sailor to appreciate the refreshing Lime Oil in the Lumafirm® Repair Cream - Lift & Glow. Skin takes on a revived look and feel as this lightweight moisturizer improves the appearance of fine lines, sagging, uneven tone, and texture. Lemon lovers have a wide range of revitalizing natural skin care products to choose from:
- Our Sulfate-Free natural face cleanser for oily skin and combination skin types keeps the skin free of oil, make-up, and debris without drying the cheeks. Paired with the Enzymo-Spherides Peeling Cream once or twice weekly, your complexion will be smooth and glowing.
- Concerned with signs of aging and sun damage? The Myoxy-Caviar Collection and Micro-Retinol® Essential Serum are sure to be your lemon-y favorites.
- Got breakouts? The SpaTeen Blemished Skin Cleanser, Toner, and Moisturizer leave skin refreshed and clearer looking.
- For lemon head to toe, try our natural exfoliating body scrub with a hint of lemon for the ultimate pick-me-up!
Fans of the natural fragrance of Orange Essential Oil and Extracts can improve moods, stimulate, moisturize, and protect the skin barrier with these ingredient focused formulas:
- Dry skin will drink up the soothing Vitaminic Concentrate, anti-stress massage oil, and appear more even and radiant.
- Soothes and enhances the skin’s tone while providing an uplifting aroma.
- Those with lines, wrinkles, and dullness will enjoy how the Marine Collagen face mask and Vitamin C Serum soften and rejuvenate their complexion.
- Got rough, cracked feet? Our natural foot cream smooths and refreshes naturally.
Want to maximize results for your healthiest skin ever? Boost skin health with an in-depth consultation for your ideal products and professional treatments. For more Citrus-infused treatments, try our Anti-Free Radicals Mask Treatment, Myoxy-Caviar® Mask Treatment, and Micro-Retinol ® Essential Treatment for your face, and a Pevonia Vitality Aromatherapy Massage or Stem Cells Phyto-Elite® Intensive Body Sea Scrub – Citrus for your body. Visit Find A Spa for an oasis near you offering Pevonia!