Damage Control: How to Prevent and Correct Sun Damaged Skin
Posted by Pevonia Marketing on 8th Jul 2022
Here comes the sun…damage. Not if we have anything to do with it! With what we know today about how to prevent sun damage to skin, and the myriad ways to correct it, there is simply no excuse! But we can all use a pep talk or reminder to ensure we do everything we can to protect and perfect our skin.
How to Prevent Sun Damage to Skin
We advocate prevention because, as the saying goes, the best defense is a strong offense. Avoiding excessive sun exposure is hands down the #1 way to keep sun damage away. Beyond seeking shade, broad-spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen comes in at a very close #2. Notice, we didn’t just say “sunscreen,” as the type and strength of your sun protection makes all the difference for a healthy complexion. Broad-spectrum formulas fight against UVA, UVB, and infrared rays. This means that in addition to UVB, or burning rays, you will be protected against UVA rays, called aging rays. UVA rays wreak havoc regardless of how cool or cloudy it is! While you may not see a burn, this invisible radiation damages DNA, triggering signs of aging, sun damage, and increased risk of skin cancer.
SPF refers to the amount of time you can spend in the sun without getting burned. For example, an SPF 30 or higher means you can stay in the sun 30 times longer without getting burned than if you weren’t wearing any sunscreen at all. Keeping skin calm and moisturized is also part of a solid offensive strategy. The stronger the skin barrier, the better chance you have of averting sun damage. Formulas with natural skin care moisturizers and soothers like Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe, Shea Butter, and Jojoba Oil provide effective care.
Tips to avoid sun damage:
• Establish a routine! Make applying SPF second nature, like brushing your teeth & grabbing your phone before leaving for the day. You can streamline your morning routine with a tinted skin care cream and sunscreen-in-one.
• If a visible whitish cast or dry, chalky texture experienced with many sunscreens has kept you from making this a part of your routine, Pevonia has the antidote to help you make sunscreen a habit. Both of our ocean and reef-safe formulas spread in quickly and easily with no white cast, just deeply moisturized and protected skin.
• Choose naturally-sourced FDA approved sunscreens. Mineral Sunscreen formulas with soothing and bacteria-minimizing Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide keep redness and breakouts in check as well! Octinoxate from balsam of Peru, cocoa leaves and cinnamon is another excellent form of sun protection.
• Give it time. Apply sunscreen 15 minutes before heading out for it to work its magic and reapply every two hours. (Set an alarm on your phone to stay vigilant.)
• Be thorough. Apply to your face, neck, chest, back of hands, arms, ears, scalp, and other exposed areas!
• Beware of UV exposure you get through windows. If you spend time in your car or work next to windows, apply an SPF 30+ as if you were outside. And, if you work in front of a computer or spend hours on a cell phone, ensure your sunscreen has blue light protection too! Pro Tip: Have a transparent SPF film applied to your home and car windows for extra protection.
• Wear oversized sunglasses, wide-brimmed hats, and protective clothing, and use an umbrella to better shield your skin.
• Check expiration dates. If sunscreen is expired, promptly discard it as it won’t adequately protect you.
• Remember, it’s not about that base. Getting a base tan is not viable for keeping your skin healthy – as any UV exposure triggers photodamage.
• Incorporate antioxidants into your morning routine. Vitamin C, Green Tea, and Vitamin E found throughout the Pevonia skin care range provide powerful protective support against free radical damage. Vitamin C has the added ability to support healthy protein production and promote strong, healthy skin.
• If you have been getting chemical peels or laser treatments, you must be even more diligent about protecting your skin.
Skincare for Sun Damaged Skin
Just in case you missed a sunscreen application (or two) or threw caution to the wind altogether, we’ve got solutions to help reverse sun damaged skin once the damage is done. You can get a handle on it with natural skin care products that get to the root causes of the main symptoms: rough texture, lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone, loss of elasticity, redness, and enlarged pores. The most potent ingredients to correct sun damaged skin are Retinol, Vitamin C, Peptides, and Stem Cells. Retinol is the absolute best ingredient to treat sun damage. No sun damage reversal routine is complete without this skin-friendly form of antioxidant Vitamin A! It supports impaired collagen, elastin, and fibroblast production, stimulates cellular turnover, and fights free radicals. The results are smoother, more luminous skin. While some routines relegate Retinol to the serum and skin care cream, using a natural skin cleanser and toner enriched with this wonder ingredient makes for a more complete solution to fix these beauty ills.
Vitamin C is essential for treating sun damaged skin as it simultaneously boosts skin luminosity and smooths, minimizing lines and evening skin tone. Through its mild exfoliating and pigment inhibiting properties, and ability to stimulate collagen, skin appears smoother and more radiant. As an antioxidant, it also protects against free radicals and subsequent UV damage.
Peptides are especially valuable to help reverse sun damaged skin. Here are a few favorites:
• Marine Collagen & Elastin Polypeptides support natural protein production and deeply moisturize, leaving skin smooth, taut, and dewy.
• Oligopeptide-68 defies dark patches and boosts radiance.
• Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7 delivers smoother, tighter-looking skin.
• Palmitoyl Oligopeptides work to rejuvenate and revitalize.
Stem Cells of plant origin have the power to walk back sun damage by empowering cellular regeneration, fostering repair, and resurfacing to correct sun damage. Worried about being exposed? While no one plans to get a sunburn, keeping post-sun care on hand, like the Pevonia After Sun Soothing Gel, is a precaution to help rescue sunburned skin. Green Tea, Sodium Palmitoyl Proline, and Water Lily take the sting out of sun damage, soothing redness and discomfort while moisturizing to provide welcome relief. As with all skin conditions, being consistent with your skincare regimen and practicing sound lifestyle habits are essential. Use a sulfate-free natural skin cleanser, followed by an alcohol-free toner, serum, and facial moisturizer twice daily. Make sure to use active skincare formulas designed to penetrate deeply for optimal results.