If you know, you know! Dry skin can feel tight, uncomfortable, and seem next to impossible to manage. Endlessly slathering on creams and lotions to no avail can make even the most peaceful person feel frustrated. Top it off with harsh conditions that exacerbate this “oil-free” skin type, is enough to make the most dedicated skin enthusiast throw in the towel.
Ready for some good news? Moist, healthy skin is within reach! It just requires a little dedication - and we know you are up for the task! To help make your efforts pay off beautifully, here are some tips on what to do to prevent dry skin damage.
Make a few simple changes
Dryness involves a lack of oil in the skin, which leads to water loss. With some easy lifestyle changes and the right natural skin care, you will be able to maintain a sense of comfort in your own skin.
Incorporate these lifestyle habits to prevent dry skin symptoms:
Tip # 1: Use utilities wisely.
Limit use of heaters and air conditioners that can sap moisture from your skin. Invest in a humidifier to counteract dry air and infuse skin with much-needed moisture. Give your fan a rest too, as it can dehydrate the surface of your skin.
Tip # 2: Change up shower time.
Shorten up and cool down showers, as bathing in hot water dehydrates skin. If you love baths, add a natural bubble bath with moisturizing oils to keep skin moisturized. Toss rough washcloths or loofahs that can abrade and irritate the skin and choose a natural body scrub instead.
Tip # 3 Watch what you consume.
Diet and fluid intake can make a significant impact on the state of your skin. Just a few dietary tweaks can help strengthen your skin’s protective barrier and preserve moisture from within.
Check out these suggestions:
- Drink plenty of water and limit caffeinated beverages, which act as diuretics, rapidly flushing water from your body. Limit alcohol intake, as well, due to its dehydrating effects.
- Increase intake of fruits and vegetables with high water and vitamin contents to boost skin hydration and health. Celery and cucumber are excellent choices as they contain silica which increases moisture and helps prevent aging.
- Choose healthy oils and fats. Omega-3 fatty acids found in avocados, nuts, olive oil, oily fish and flax seeds are crucial for helping retain moisture as the body doesn’t produce them. No wonder they are called essential fatty acids!
- Get your Vitamin levels up. According to Medical News Today, a diet low in Vitamins A, C, D and E, Zinc and Selenium can contribute to dry skin. Eating foods rich in these vitamins and minerals can help overcome dryness.
- Carotenoids and retinoids in Vitamin A foster UV damage repair. The best source is beef liver, but orange and leafy green vegetables may be more palatable.
- Vitamin C-rich Sweet red pepper, kiwis, melons, oranges, and strawberries are ultra-effective, providing UV protection and promoting collagen production.
- Cod liver oil is an excellent source of Vitamin D. If you can’t stomach it, fortified almond, oat and soy milks work. Per Pub Med Central, its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial benefits promote healthy skin and bodies.
- Vitamin E found in sunflower seeds and almonds, according to the National Institutes of Health, inhibits enzymes (MMPs) that break down proteins and trigger inflammation, helping prevent dryness.
- Zinc and Selenium provide UV protective benefits, with Zinc offering anti-inflammatory benefits. Zinc can be found in oysters, beef, crab, pork, poultry, dairy, beans, seeds, nuts, and oatmeal Get Selenium from tuna, whole grains, nuts, seeds, mushrooms and spinach for healthy skin.
# 4 Revisit your dry skin care solutions
Dry skin needs a multi-pronged approach! This includes renewing your commitment to your skin, as follows:
- Be selective about what you put on your skin. Use gentle products without drying alcohol, sulfates, artificial fragrances and dyes that rob skin of vital moisture, damage the protective barrier, and increase water loss.
- Use only natural skin care products expressly formulated to knock out dryness. Choose products with natural oils and ingredients that repair the skin to help prevent dry patches and itching.
- Be consistent with your routine. Feeling flummoxed about where to start? Get a skin care set for dry skin that has everything you need to stay on track. We know life can make sticking to a regimen challenging at times. At a minimum, never go to bed without washing your face and apply moisturizer immediately afterward to seal in moisture.
- Enlist professional help with Pevonia treatments that revitalize your skin and help postpone early signs of aging.
Tip #5: Revamp your skin care routine for dry sensitive skin :
- Wash with the Pevonia CleanRefesh Cleanser. Coconut-derived surfactants, Hyaluronic Acid, Safflower Seed Oil and Squalane in this unique oil-to-foam natural skin cleanser support healthy, moisturized skin.
- Banish flakes and tightness with the deeply moisturizing Vitaminic Concentrate. Enriched with Safflower Seed Oil, Squalane, antioxidant Vitamins A and E, it regenerates, protects and repairs. Azulene calms discomfort while Mandarin Orange Essential Oil imparts a radiant glow.
- Moisturize with the Pevonia Rejuvenating Dry Skin Cream. Pear Seed Extract and Royal Jelly energize skin, helping avoid roughness and fine lines that characterize dry skin. Nutritious Shea Butter, Vitamin C and Marine Collagen deliver skin-smoothing support.
- Pro Tip: Spritz with a Hyaluronic Acid facial spray throughout the day and any time skin feels tight and craves moisture.